The Health Benefits of Red Wine
The health benefits of wine, red wine to be precise have been debated by researchers since quite some time.
Many people believe that a glass of wine per day leads to a healthy lifestyle.
Studies have repeatedly pointed at this fact that moderate consumption of red wine leads to a lowered risk of several diseases, especially those related to the heart.
Benefits of drinking Red Wine
Grapes which are the chief ingredient for red wine are full of antioxidants.
And these antioxidants offer a plethora of health benefits.
- Reduces oxidation in the body: Red Wine reduces the damage due to oxidation in the body through an antioxidant called as Proanthocyanidins present in Red wine.
- Prevents tooth decay: Red wine tends to harden the enamel of your teeth which in turn restricts the growth of bacteria, preventing tooth decay. Polyphenols found in Red Wine, tends to reduce the gum inflammation, thus preventing gum diseases.
- Protects the heart against heart diseases and stroke: Red Wine contains Resveratrol, a powerful antioxidant compounds, which reduces the saturated fat content accumulated in the arteries.
Red wine is also full of flavonoids and saponins which guard you against cardiovascular diseases. Red Wine also tends to increase the good cholesterol in the body.
- Gives a beautiful healthy skin: Red wine contains antioxidants which prevent aging and also reduces the fine lines and wrinkles.
- To reduce the risk of cancer: Moderate consumption of Red Wine reduces the risk of breast cancer in women, along with cancer related to colon, ovary, basal cell and prostate.
Red wine contains quercetin which prevents lung cancer and resveratrol which prevents the development of cancerous cells.
- To reduce the risk of dementia: Red wine tends to decrease the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
- To Reduce the risk of depression: A study on elderly and middle aged people who drank 2-7 glasses of Red Wine per week, showed reduced risk of depression
- To reduce the insulin resistance: Drinking 2 glasses of red wine per day for 4 weeks reduces insulin resistance
- To reduce the risk of type II diabetes: Moderate consumption of red wine reduces the risk of developing type II diabetes in women
Take Home Message
Red wine if consumed in moderation, say 1-2 glasses a day, greatly helps. However, excess consumption needs to be avoided as it might lead to alcoholism.
Mac is an avid traveller, who spends many months of the year wandering the world with a laptop and a suitcase. He has been a wine lover for over 30 years, and has a fondness for Italian reds, although don’t ask his opinion on the Barolo Wars. On his travels he has tasted a great many wines. Some good, some bad, and some that should never have been sold for human consumption.