Beaune Wine Region
The Epicentre of Burgundy, France
Beaune, which is a commune in the Côte de Beaune – a sub-region of the world-famous Burgundy, is known to be the epicentre of the region’s wine trade.
This is also the second-largest town in the Côte de Beaune.
I would say that the Beaune is more intrinsically associated with Burgundy wines for centuries.
Beaune region, with more than 411.7 hectares of vineyards, is the largest village-named AOC appellation in the Côte d’Or.
Every year, this region is producing more than 15,652 hectolitres of wines (both red and white) thereby representing around 2.1 million wine bottles produced in the country.
Now, let’s see everything about this important wine region of Burgundy here…
Creation of Beaune AOC
As I mentioned above, the Beaune town has been associated with the wines of Burgundy for centuries.
The name Beaune was being used as a generic title for all the wines that were produced locally.
This was continued until the formalization of the wine appellation system in the country during the middle of the 20th century.
In the year 1936, the Beaune AOC was created and after this, the title was allowed only for the wines that are produced from the vineyards of Beaune.
A Detailed Look at the Beaune AOC
If we take a look at the overall wine production in the Beaune AOC, we can understand that the majority of wines produced are red.
Almost 85% of Beaune AOC wines are red with the remaining 15% representing the white wines.
We can see that this AOC region does not contain any Grand Cru vineyards. But, there are several popular Premier Cru vineyards here. This region has a total of 42 climates being classified as Premier Cru vineyards.
As a total, almost 315.07 hectares of the total vineyard area of Beaune are coming under the Premier Cru out of which around 274.63 hectares are occupied by red grape varieties and about 40.43 hectares are being occupied by white grape varieties.
Thus, the region is producing more than 5,231 hectolitres of Premier Cru red wines and more than 440 hectolitres of Premier Cru white wines every year.
Although the red wines are being produced from the Burgundy’s signature grape variety, the wines that are being produced in the Beaune are not as rich and masculine as the Burgundy wines that are produced in the Pommard region.
Also, these are not found to be well-structured like the Grand Cru wines from the Corton region.
As per the AOC regulations, the grape varieties like Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc, and Pinot Gris are allowed to be used as the accessory grape varieties in the red wine production.
It’s to be noted that these grape varieties should not exceed 15% in these wines. On the other hand, the white wines, which are produced using Chardonnay as the main grape variety, could use Pinot Blanc as the accessory grape variety.
But, most of the wines from Beaune AOC region are found to be 100% Chardonnay.
As such, the alcohol levels of the red wines must be at least 10.5% and for white wines, it should be at least 11% for the village-level wines.
On the other hand, the alcohol level should be at least 11% in red wines and should be at least 11.5% in white wines for the Premier Cru level wines.
Top-rated Wines from Beaune AOC
- Chanson, Clos des Fèves 1er Cru 2012
- Bouchard Père et Fils, Vigne de lEnfant Jésus, Grèves 1er Cru 2014
- Domaine des Croix, Bressandes 1er Cru 2012
- Maison Jadot, Vignes Franches, Clos des Ursules 1er Cru 2014
- Drouhin, Grèves 1er Cru 2012
- Domaine Albert Morot, Bressandes Beaune 1er Cru 2014
- De Montille, Sizies 1er Cru 2005
- Marchand-Tawse, Les Teurons Beaune 1er Cru 2014
- Domaine des Clos, Avaux 1er Cru 2011
I am Tharani, I have Bachelors degree in Biotechnology. I am passionate about the wine industry and continue to explore, learn and share and I bring in a wealth of knowledge and expertise to help you keep updated with best wines in the world. Stay tuned..
Read also about other Wine Regions
- Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Lambrusco di Sorbara
- Cerasuolo di Vittoria Wine
- Contea di Sclafani
- Salina IGT
- Alto Adige
- Brunello di Montalcino
- Vernaccia di San Gimignano
- Vino Nobile di Montepulciano
- Amarone della Valpolicella
- Chambolle Musigny
- Vallée de la Marne
- Tours sur Marne
- Ile de France
- Pays d'Herault
- Châteauneuf du Pape
- Côtes du Rhône
- South West France
- Castile and León
- El Bierzo
- Castilla-La Mancha
- Baja Montaña
- Ribera Alta
- Ribera Baja
- Tierra Estella
- Ribera del Duero
- La Rioja
- La Marina