Facebook pixel
Select Page

Abruzzo Wine Region, Italy

With the Tasty Uncomplicated Wines

Abruzzo, which is a wine region lying on the east coast of Central Italy, is offering lots of tasty and uncomplicated wines.

You might be aware that Italy is not famous for simple wines. But, I would say the mountainous region of Abruzzo region is exceptional and offers plenty of delightful wines with good value.

This region, which has rugged terrain, has a long history of winemaking.

Today, this region is producing over 42 million cases of wine in a year which makes it the 5th most productive region in the country.

Wine grape varieties

Now, let’s see about the vines and wines of the Abruzzo region here…

Past and Present of Wine Industry in Abruzzo

We can find that the winemaking tradition in this important Italian wine region is dated to the 6th century B.C. It was the Etruscans who introduced the viniculture to this region.

But originally, the viticulture is dating back to as early as 4th century B.C. during when a Moscato-style grape called Apianae was cultivated here.

In the due course of time, the wine production in Abruzzo saw a downfall with a decline in the region’s population.

For many centuries, the regions wine production was side-lined.

Thankfully, in the last four to five decades, the viniculture is seeing a renaissance in this region.

Now, it has become an important wine exporter for the countries like Germany, USA, Canada, UK, Sweden, Denmark, and Norway.

At present, the region has around 36,000 hectares of land under wine grape cultivation.

Of these, almost 21.5% are coming under DOC wine production.

Wine Regions of Abruzzo

The region has a total of three DOCs and one DOCG now.

Let’s have a quick look at them here:

DOC Wine Regions

Montepulciano dAbruzzo

This was created in the year 1968 for red/rosé wines and is covering almost 7,500 hectares of vineyards. The grapes that are allowed under this DOC are Montepulciano (at least 85%) and Sangiovese (up to 15%).

Trebbiano d’Abruzzo

This DOC was created in the year 1972 for white wines and is covering the entire Abruzzo wine region. These wines are made using Trebbiano grapes (at least 85%). The Trebbiano can be either Trebbiano Toscano or Trebbiano d’Abruzzo. But, its interesting to note that another grape variety called Bombino Bianco also can be used up to 85% in these wines. The remaining 15% can be from any of the following varieties:

  • Malvasia Toscano
  • Cococciola
  • Passerina
  • Controguerra

This was created in the year 1996 and is covering around 41 hectares of vineyards.

These wines are produced from the grape varieties like:

  • Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Chardonnay
  • Ciliegiolo
  • Malvasia
  • Merlot
  • Trebbiano Toscano
  • Moscato Amabile
  • Passerina
  • Pinot Nero
  • Riesling

Apart from these, generic blends are also created using Montepulciano (60 to 85%), Merlot and/or Cabernet Sauvignon (15-40%).

The whites are being produced from Trebbiano Toscano (60–85%), Passerina (15–40%), and Teramo (up to 25%).

Alcohol and Distilleries

DOCG Wine Region

Montepulciano d’Abruzzo Colline Teramane

This was first created in the year 1995 as a DOC wine region and was elevated to the DOCG designation during the year 2003.

These wines are produced from the grape varieties that are cultivated only in around 30 communes within the province of Teramo.

We can find that during the harvest and aging, the regulations of this DOCG wine region is more or less similar to that of Montepulciano d’Abruzzo DOC.

In this DOCG, the wines should be made from at least 90% Montepulciano grape variety and up to 10% of Sangiovese grape variety.

In addition to these DOC and DOCG regions, there are 8 IGTs in Abruzzo, which are namely:

  • Alto Tirino
  • Colli del Sangro
  • Colline Frentane
  • Colline Pescaresi
  • Colline Teatine
  • Vastese
  • Terre di Chieti
  • Valle Peligna

Give this page a High Five!


Tharani Rajamanickam

Tharani Rajamanickam


I am Tharani, I have Bachelors degree in Biotechnology. I am passionate about the wine industry and continue to explore, learn and share and I bring in a wealth of knowledge and expertise to help you keep updated with best wines in the world. Stay tuned..

Are you a Copywriter?

We have a lot of articles without much content, if you can do it better, you are welcome to write a nice article, and get the proper credit for that. Read more information about beeing an author, and Contact us for more information.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Vineyards in Abruzzo, Italy

No Results Found

The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.

Read also about other Wine Regions

Wine Grape Varieties
Wine Informations
Wine Merchants

Visit the Region

5/5 (8)

Give this page a High Five!